Friday, December 08, 2006

Libraries and Algeria: 2 weeks of finals

If you’re wondering how I’ve been spending my time in the city of light, the answer is in the dark-- or at least dimly lit libraries or in front of my computer, or both at the same time when my laptop accompanies me to my beloved BNF. This is a shame, because I’ve heard from people not enslaved to academia that Paris, where I live, is a fun city... In an internet version of the Bryn Mawr College “done is good” credo, something that hasn’t crossed my mind in the past 6 years since I graduated, as of today, I’ve taken 2 exams and handed in 3 papers (2 of which were French paper records for me at 13 pages). I have yet to finish another 12-pager and take 3 exams, the last of which is the slightly terrifying subject of 19th century French History from the revolution to the resistance.

The 19th of December (the day of my last final) will indeed be a happy day, which I am starting to imagine as a date nearly as monumental and liberating for me as the day France recognized Algerian independence (one of my essays was on the conquest of Algeria).

No comments: