Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Iguana Alerts, Non-Violent Neighbors and Unpronounced 'H's

Some recent quotes:

A friend in Fort Lauderdale on the cold in Florida: "hibernating iguanas have been falling from the trees; the news said to watch out for falling iguanas."

My neighbors when the lights were out on EVERY floor in my building and I ran into them in the dark coming home at 2 am Sunday morning : "Don't worry, Madame, we're not going to attack you."

At a dinner party:
Me, reacting to hearing an anecdote: "What, another story about you in your underwear!?"

On discovering the joys of agriculture: "Woofing-- you know, that program 'Working On Organic Farms...'"

On English sentence structure (or um, the French advantage):

Me: So, in English we use compound nouns which often make English sentences shorter than French ones. Remember when I checked your translation? Everything is longer in French.
Male student (flirtatiously) : Why, thank you.
Me: I meant sentence length.

After a recent theater date:
Me, to my French cavalier: "I swear, I had no idea there would be so many naked men in this play..." I think he was traumatised, haven't heard from him since...

At the Irish dance lesson:
French announcer explaining a new step: "This is called 'i-gate.' For those of you who've studied English, it's spelled with an 'h'."
Me, to my adorable French partner: "yes, and you have to specify that because it's not like anyone in France would actually pronounce the 'h'..."

No comments: