Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Little Respect and Jean-Paul Sartre

Erasure once sang, "give a little respect to-oo-oo-oo me."

Sartre once said "Hell is other people."

I used to interpret that famous Sartre quote as describing the frustration of being trapped in a crowd in the metro where the foot traffic patterns seem purposely designed to be the least logical and efficient. Sometimes I took it to mean a mall food court and its crass greasy marketing and overweight American consumerism. I've also interpreted it as being trapped behind a wall of painfully slow walking people on a public sidewalk and being unable to step around them. I guess I instinctively applied it to other people en masse, more to crowds than individuals because public space in France is just so damn frustrating.

However, this week, I've changed my mind. Truer to the actual play that the quote comes from where a few people just torment each other for all eternity, I think "hell is other people" in fact describes the insult and anger of even just one or 2 individuals who show no respect for you rather than the annoyance of walking in a crowd. This attitude describes an awful lot of people I know at the moment and disappoints me. Life is just a set up for disappointment, Sartre would probably say and shrug and light a cigarette. Or turn up Erasure.

No comments: